As previously advised, Baptist Care SA, along with a group of other quality providers, has been endorsed by the SA Housing Authority as a key provider of homelessness services in the Adelaide CBD, Hills and Southern Metropolitan areas.
As a founding member of the Toward Home Alliance, Baptist Care SA continues to play a key role in responding to the needs and life aspirations of young people and Aboriginal people. With and on behalf of our Baptist movement, we offer support to people who are homeless or at risk. Why?
“For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.”Matthew 25:35-36 (NIV)
This well-known text reflects the confronting reality that adverse circumstances including poverty, illness, and disengagement from community have been part of the lived experience of vulnerable people for centuries.
It also reflects the challenge upon the Lord’s people to look in the eyes of those vulnerable, to see our Lord in them and to thus treat with dignity as if they were the Lord himself.
To support individuals and local churches to meet the needs of vulnerable people, Baptist Care SA encourages you to save the following contact details (enter them into your phone) to be ready to assist when the opportunity arises.
- Toward Home ACCESS on 1800 809 273 if you come across people who are experiencing or at risk of homelessness in the Adelaide CBD, Hills or Southern Adelaide region
- Homeless Connect SA on 1800 003 308 if you are concerned about people who are homeless in all other South Australian regions.
But is making a phone call all the Lord requires of His followers? Perhaps you might also consider:
- Making that first tentative phone call with/for the person you are concerned about.
- Offering some food or a warm blanket or to take the person to a safe and/or supportive place.
- Buy a few extra cans and packets of food and get into the habit of putting them into your church’s WestCare Collection Cupboard/Box each week.
- Become a regular donor or make a bequest in your Will to support the ongoing transformational work of Baptist Care SA’s dedicated staff.
- Volunteer some time to help “feed His lambs” at our WestCare Centre.
- Pray that gracious support will be extended in ways that demonstrate a genuine belief that all people are valuable in the sight of their Creator.
Baptist Care SA would highly value your faithful response to our Winter Appeal via https://baptistcaresa.org.au/donate-now. If you require further details please contact Hugh Ballantyne on 0418 483 087 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Yours in Christ.
Chief Executive Officer