I want to live in a connected community
This was the title of an article I wrote in August 2002 when I was serving as General Manager of Services for what was then Baptist Community Services.
I spoke then of a vision to see all Lord’s people, live in a ‘Connected Community’ where:
- The optimism of their actions outweighs the pessimism of their thoughts;
- Good health is more about people experiencing the fullness of life rather than merely the absence of disease, infirmity or disability
- People are supported and encouraged as they explore the complex issues of life and faith
- People experience a sense of belonging that engenders hope for the future and prevents social isolation
- People feel safe and secure enough to be able to step out of their houses, but also out of their comfort zones, to explore their dreams
- The resources within the community are utilised to strengthen and support the growth and happiness of all
- Each individual is valued and respected as a unique creation of God who has a contribution to make to the richness, vibrancy and colourful blend of cultural interaction
- People have regular opportunities to meet together and interact through a range of social, educational, religious, recreational, therapeutic, cultural and other activities
- ‘Social (Biblical) Justice’ is brought about by doing all that is necessary so that people can feel that they belong.
In short, it seems to me that vibrant connected communities are evidence of the ‘fullness of life’ that our Lord Jesus Christ desires that each of us experience here on earth.
As I head into my second year as CEO of Baptist Care, re-engage with our dedicated team of staff and volunteers and seek to strengthen our links with local churches, I invite you to pray with us that that the Spirit of the Living God will move ahead of us, be amongst us and in us, so that more people have the opportunity to live in a ‘connected community’ where they can experience fullness of life.
I am also very pleased to announce that Ms Janine Lenigas is joining our Executive Team as Executive Leader – Service Development. Janine has been in fellowship at Enfield Baptist Church for many years and brings significant strategic development and community leadership experience, underpinned by strong skills and expertise in the provision of disability services. We warmly welcome Janine and pray for blessings upon her important development work.