Position Vacancy – Spiritual Care Coordinator
About the Company
RSL Care SA is an innovative and progressive provider in Aged Care. In the spirit of our heritage we continue to promote well-being and independence by making meaningful contributions to the lives of our residents. Established in 1917, RSL Care SA is recognised as a trusted provider of accommodation, care and support that delivers fundamental supportive solutions to meet the changing needs of the ex-service and wider community.
About the role
The RSL Care SA philosophy is one based on a holistic approach to the best possible quality of life for individual residents underpinned by evidenced based clinical care and dignity, choice and respect for residents and clients. The Spiritual Care Coordinator is responsible for building positive relationships with residents and clients through providing emotional and spiritual support. The role is not only about meeting emotional and spiritual outcomes – it is about collaborating with the entire workforce in ensuring each resident/client has the opportunity to experience the best quality of life possible.
The Spiritual Care Coordinator is a role model for all staff and through their leadership, is an active contributor to the ongoing satisfaction of residents and their families with care and services provided within RSL Care SA. They are responsible and accountable for ensuring timely emotional and spiritual support services, coordinating pastoral volunteers and liaising with local faith communities. Furthermore, they are to ensure that the emotional and spiritual support can be appropriately evidenced against the aged care quality standards, as well being an active contributor to the ongoing development of the Janus Approach.
- Provide direct emotional and spiritual counselling to residents, families and bereaved, where requested, in keeping with the individuals beliefs
- Provision of informal ritual and worship activities for individuals or small groups, plus more formal expressions of public worship and ritual as required
- Working with members of the Clinical Governance Team to assist in the care planning, with particular focus on spiritual components of care
- Working with the Volunteer Coordinator, develop and maintain a group of pastoral volunteers to whom specific aspects of spiritual care may be delegated. Monitor the emotional and spiritual support provided to residents/clients by pastoral volunteers
- Build relationships with local faith communities, to increase capacity of pastoral volunteers
- Accountability for ensuring all emotional and spiritual documentation required of Spiritual Care Coordinator is carried out within a professional, efficient and timely manner so as to meet the objectives of safe and effective evidenced based clinical care, accreditation, and RSL Care SA policies and procedures
- Liaise and cooperate with clinical, care and wellbeing teams to ensure that residents/clients receive emotional and spiritual support that enhance their independence, choice, wellbeing and quality of life
- Provide appropriate levels of support and encouragement to new members of the team, including orientation/induction, to ensure the safe, effective and contemporary delivery of emotional and spiritual support in line with RSL Care SA’s Janus Approach, policies and procedures
The Successful candidate will have:
- Cert IV in Chaplaincy and Pastoral Care (or equivalent)
- Demonstrated a minimum 2 years experience providing pastoral/spiritual care to people in a community context
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- The ability to maintain a calm, comforting environment for residents, clients and representatives
- The ability to establish priorities and plan work, through effective time management and tidiness
- Knowledge pf various spiritual, religious, cultural backgrounds and belief systems
- The ability to network with diverse faith traditions on behalf of residents or clients
- Demonstrated commitment to respecting the values, customs, preferences and spiritual beliefs of residents/clients and their families/representatives
- Strong leadership skills and ability to delegate and assign work
- A compassionate and understanding nature, with a sensitive approach to supporting residents to enact their choice.
If you are passionate about a career in Aged Care in a progressive organisation and have a commitment to providing a positive impact on the lives of our residents, then we would love to hear from you.
To apply for this position, please submit an updated resume and covering letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications close Friday 28 February 2020.
All RSL Care SA employees must be entitled to work in Australia and obtain a Federal Police Clearance.