Salem Baptist celebrates 175 years
On Sunday, November 4th, many gathered to give praise and thanks for 175 years of continuous worship in Gumeracha. A morning service was held, followed by lunch. There was also a display of historical photos and a slide show by Mr Alan Phillips, followed by afternoon tea. The first preaching of the Gospel in Gumeracha began in 1843, with services regularly held in the kitchen of the dairy (W.B Randell’s store), then occupied by Mr T.V Cornish. The Salem Church building was completed in February 1846. Services on the opening day were conducted by Mr Thomas Playford (great grandfather of the Hon. Thomas Playford, who served as Premier of South Australia from 1938-1965).